eggs taste bad!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redchickenguy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. redchickenguy

redchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    ever since i switched to Dumor feed this fall the eggs have tasted horrible. and its not because of winter, last year i was feeding Purana and the eggs tasted fine
    has anyone had similar experiences

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    switch feeds then

3. parksfamily08

parksfamily08 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    I have never used purina for layers. Are you using regular layer pellets or the omega-3 layers pellets or even the layer crumbles? Do they free range any? Some weeds may affect taste.

4. redchickenguy

Sep 28, 2013
    no they don't free range. i can't seem to keep them in a fence. every time i find out where they are getting out they find another way out

5. parksfamily08

parksfamily08 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Either they are eating something that affects flavor that isn't feed or it's the feed. I would switch and see if that helps.

6. redchickenguy

Sep 28, 2013
    i had just got 2 bags of the dumor feed but luckily didn't open it so next time i am at the tractor supply i will return it and get Purana

7. Porch Chickens

Porch Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    One of my chickens, a little silkie, has the worst tasting eggs. I swear they taste like chicken poop smells, and only my dog will eat them (my dog also eats chicken poop so no wonder she likes them!). She also has always had an odd smell about her from the first day we got her from the breeder. I thought it was the insecticide powder they dusted her with at first, but the smell never went away.
    She's the sweetest little chicken, and so affectionate and vocal. All of our chickens get the same feed and also free range. With her I'm wondering if she eats a lot more free range stuff from our yard than the other girls, because it's difficult for her to get into the rat-proof feeder. Basically she has to shove her way in when another bird is eating, since she's too light to open it herself.
    Her crop always feels really full, so I've always thought she's getting enough, but now I"m wondering what it's full of. Hopefully not poop from the other chickens, poor thing!: (
    Maybe I need to get a bantam feeder just for her. We had to get the rat proof design as the rats were eating all the food. Seriously cut our feed consumption in half getting this feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by