Eggs taste like dirt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brazellchickys, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Brazellchickys

Brazellchickys New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Sacramento, California
    I have four girls a Danish brown leg two barred rocks and and a black astrolorpe. Anyways the last month ive notice that some of the eggs are tasting like dirt. My husband finally noticed today so ive been searching to find out what causes it but I can't find any real answers. Help please. It's just plain gross

2. Do you wash the eggs before cooking? This destroys the egg's coating and stuff outside the egg can go in. What bedding do you use? Is it ever wet? Can you trace these eggs to a particular hen? Are you feeding them any garlic or onions? This can effect taste. I don't know what would be causing this, that is all I can think of.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Have you changed your chicken feed recently?

4. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Oh, dear, how strange. I'm sorry. That must be awful!

I bet I would toss out the feed and get a new bag, checking the date and looking for any evidence of moisture on the outside of the bag. I would get it from a new company, too, so that I didn't get some more of the same batch. Although, of course, it may not be a feed issue. earlybird10842 has some good advice. I haven't ever heard of a disease that causes that.

I really haven't a clue, but you have my condolences. [​IMG]

5. Brazellchickys

Brazellchickys New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Sacramento, California
    Thank you ill try out all those options

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by