Eggs taste off

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wildzephyr, Mar 1, 2015.

1. wildzephyr

wildzephyr New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Cambridge
    We have two White Leghorns and two Goldlines. The white eggs from the WLH are great but the eggs from the GLs taste rather funky, a bit too eggy, like they're off. It's been that way for well over a month and we can't work it out.
    I'm about to change food supplier but feel that is only precautionary and in the absence of any other solution as it doesn't affect both breeds.
    Any ideas?

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs do vary from different breeds but I'd be more inclined to look at diet. Are they fed strictly a commercial ration? It could be that one breed favors a plant or treat more than another causing the flavor discrepancy.

3. wildzephyr

wildzephyr New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Cambridge
    We give them layers pellets every day plus oyster shell and then kitchen scraps which are most veggie shavings. No onions or potatoes, never bread, sometimes pasta but not often, occasionally apple cores.

Should we stop for a while, do you think?

4. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I think what SD might have meant was is there maybe a plant in your yard that they're getting into that perhaps the other breed is not?

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for clarifying @mortie. That is what I meant [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by