1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs that are roosters or hens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Country Chickens, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    Hi all. We're planning to start our own flock, and very excited! We have a question, though. (or two, or three) [​IMG]

Is there a way to tell if eggs contain future hen vs. roosters? Are there any breeds/kinds of eggs where this is possible?

There's already one rooster in the neighborhood that we can call on if in need, and my husband doesn't want a rooster in our flock. He works from home and feels the noise right outside his window would be too distracting!

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Not that I know of...you'll just have to hatch them, then rehome the roos or eat them. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

If there was, there would be a lot more layers around! I do wish that it would be possible, but it's not. If only they were like the geckos I used to breed...where incubator temp influenced their gender....

4. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have heard of one but don't know if it is true or not. At the pointed end of the egg if it is pointed it will be a roo if it is rounded it will be a hen. That is just what I have heard.
    Chris

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's what I've heard as well, but many said it's not true. My dad said that he sat a hen once with all rounded eggs, and most of the chicks were pullets, but I think he just got lucky

6. Country Chickens

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    Sounds like a fascinating business--and all very scientific!

Okay, so do you guys have any suggestions on how to re-home roos? I'd also be willing to eat them, but not sure I'm up for the butcher job.

How early can you tell? Isn't there one kind of chicken that you can tell right off? Maybe I'll just wait and get chicks...though we were looking forward to hatching.

Thanks for all the comments. I've been looking around for awhile now, and this is a wonderful site. [​IMG]

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Country Chickens, there are certain breeds that you can tell roos from pullets right off from the coloration of the chicks. Any sex link chick is that way. If you prefer not to hatch your own, why not buy just pullets from a reputable breeder and have the shipped as day old chicks? I hope this helps [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Quote:craigslist is one place you can use to rehome just about anything.

Use the search feature ^^ and the terms: sexing and chicks you should get some hits on the how to's. When all else fails, post pictures and the folks here will give you their opinions. Some chicks you can tell on day one by looking at their feathers or vent sexing, but that's an artform and takes a keen eye.

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/play...=210013706&lineupId=18590641&titleId=18579452

9. Country Chickens

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    Hmmm, thinking I'll go with the sex-linked chicks, at least for starters. We can always move on to hatching later.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    If you must have pullets, order them. I am hatching right now cuz I have figured out how to give away roosters! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by