1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs that haven't made it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RiotRoo, Nov 9, 2015.

1. RiotRoo

RiotRoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2015
    I'm incubating for the first time, and I have 14 silkie eggs. Today is day 7 and I candled then for the first time. I'm pretty new to this, but I've done a lot of research and I believe one egg wasn't fertile as I see no development and one looks to have a blood ring. How long should I wait before discarding them? I'm kind of worried due to my lack of experience I'm not reading them correctly and I don't want to remove them from the incubator if they're actually ok!

2. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    try to get some pictures, be careful, but don't have the eggs out too long. It will help people out to have a visual (do it in a solid dark room, candle the egg, and use your phone/camera with no flash)

Here's a blood ring on one of my duck eggs, notice no viable veining
    [​IMG]

3. RiotRoo

Oct 20, 2015
    The first one I believe has a blood ring, and the second appears to not have grown at all. Here's photos at 8 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    in the first one, do you see any clear signs of veining? the 2nd doesn't look like it's developing. the first, I'm not sure. this is 7 or 8 days on mine that was developing, you could see veining and in the middle the tiny embryo with a little pulsing at the heart
    [​IMG]

5. RiotRoo

Oct 20, 2015
    The only veining I can see is the red loop that forms a circle :( All of my other ones look like your photo though, so that's exciting! :D

6. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    yea, I'd probably call it dead then. You could technically put it back in and see if there are any changes, but you run a risk of it growing bacteria. I hate giving up on eggs, but when there's no clear veining and a red ring it's likely early death.

7. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    The first one is dead (ring of death); the second one I would leave in the incubator and candle it again at 14 days. I had an egg on my last hatch appear to be non-developing every time I candled it, but it surprised me by hatching---zipping around it's shell cracking through the words "questionable" and "not developing day 14" I had written on that egg :)
    As long as there are no cracks in the egg; no oozing or foul odor, you shouldn't have to worry about the egg exploding in the incubator. Hope you have a good hatch! :)

8. RiotRoo

Oct 20, 2015
    Thank you so much guys! I will discard the dead one and cross my fingers that the other one is just behind :)

1 person likes this.
  9. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    how are things going?

10. RiotRoo

Oct 20, 2015
    Really well! I ended up removing 3 eggs that were no good from the incubator, and there is one more that looks like it might be bad but I left it. Lots of healthy activity in the other 10 eggs though. We're officially in lockdown now! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by