eggs to big

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by garrett505, Sep 19, 2016.

1. garrett505

garrett505 New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    is it ok if my chicken is laying to big of eggs

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, garrett505, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I assume your birds haven't been laying long? When new hens are just starting out the eggs tend to be smaller and then become larger for a couple months until they are about "normal" size. However, in between the small and the normal there are sometimes a few eggs that are HUGE - they will sometimes have double yolks. Nothing to worry about. Just the hen getting her system in check for a long laying life. Hope that answers your question. Enjoy BYC and thanks for joining.

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I would not worry that her eggs are too big, just watch her in case she gets egg bound, then you may need to interfere, but for now, enjoy those jumbo eggs! I hope you enjoy Backyard chickens and find it as helpful as I have.:)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some great advice, so I'll just say hi and enjoy your ostrich eggs! [​IMG]

Best wishes
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Welcome!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Enjoy the big eggs while you've got them -

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Well, that depends on a lot of things, especially what you mean by "too big." Some birds will naturally lay very large eggs; while this can put them at a higher risk of reproductive issues, there's not really anything that be done for it except enjoying those tasty jumbos! Also know that young layers (started within the past several months) wil lay weird eggs; big eggs, little eggs, shellless eggs, and so on. If she's not young, and is inconsistently laying large eggs, or is also laying deformed, shellless, or otherwise abnormal eggs, that could be an indicator of several potential issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by