eggs to hatch ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Heaven, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Chicken Heaven

Chicken Heaven Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I just bought an incubator and I am excited to hatch eggs for the first time. I have been reading all info I can about it but I cannot find my answer to this one. I will collect eggs but do they have to sit or be stored a certain way before being placed in the incubator? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They can be put in the incubator right away but usually they are stored a few days.
    All the following is the ideal.
    The egg needs to be cooled to physiological zero (78F or below) soon after being laid.
    Ideally they should only go through two temperature changes from the time they're laid when they are at about 102F.
    If they're only stored a couple days, 70F is a good storage temperature. That warmth will thin the albumen to improve gas transpiration through the shell.
    If stored longer, they should be 60-65F up to 10 days.
    They should be turned about 3 times a day in storage. If that isn't possible, store them pointy end up, which is the opposite of the incubation position.

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    x2

4. Chicken Heaven

Chicken Heaven Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you...I am gonna collect eggs the next few evenings and plan to start incubating them this Saturday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by