eggs today?....{impatient egg-waiting...}

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whatthecluck, Apr 1, 2009.

1. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    I keep on checking! 4 of my pullets are 21-1/2 weeks...have had them for a week and a half now....one barred rock, 2 EEs, and a white LH x Americauna (I think)....
    so who is laying first?...I cant stand the wait...I want to see the COLORs soooo badly. I *AM* seeing white feathers in one of the nesting boxes routinely.....so I think "Omellette" will be the first to produce.....but when...hmmmmm....

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It could be any minute now or another 8 weeks. I hate waiting!!!

3. Pollo Posada

Pollo Posada Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Mount Airy, MD
    Keep the faith! I just got my first egg this morning! Mine were born in early December. I wish it was more but 1 is a start! [​IMG]

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I got my first "fart egg" yesterday from my older babies. They were born Jan 1st so it was very early. Just keep waiting, it will happen soon! [​IMG]

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Hi Tamica!

I just replied to your PM

A good indicator of readiness to lay is "the squat".

Are any of your girls stopping in their tracks, crouching to the ground and spreading their wings ever so slightly when you get very close? If so the eggs are not far away. Some people on here say a few days, some a week.

Sending egg vibes your way!!

6. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:"YES!" I just came in from the coop and they were doing this. I was laughing saying to them "well it sure looks like you want to hand me an e g g ...so don't think much more about it and just give it a go will you?". So! Hmmmmm.....tomorrow? LOL.
    Heres the e g g -wiping cloths I made and stuck up in the basket in the coop...bamboo-terry on one side to wipe and bring them in for us. Now I just need some e g g s girls......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    If you keep good clean straw in the box, you do not need to wipe them off, just a little rinse when you bring them in the house.

8. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I love it when new chickens start to lay!

A pity I was away when mine started [​IMG] It was January first!! lol.

WEll hope you get some e g g s soon.

always very exciting!

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My barred rocks started around 20 weeks. My EEs started at 6 months. I don't know about your LH cross, but my white leghorns have started as early as 16 weeks.

You should have eggs any day! Love your egg wiping cloths, and hope you get to use them soon... [​IMG]

10. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:still an empty basket today [​IMG] ........ahhhhhh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by