eggs too cold to incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3 chicken farmers, Apr 3, 2009.

1. 3 chicken farmers

3 chicken farmers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    grand junction
    i got some eggs in the mail and they were left outside for some time they didnt freeze but they were very cold when i got them are they still ok to incubate? thanks:(

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    [​IMG]

I'd sure give it a try. Lots of people have had good luck hatching eggs that have been stored in the fridge.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    let them warm up to room temp for at least 12 hours then pop them into the bator, they should be ok if they werent frozen, the last shipped eggs I got were pretty darn cold when I got them and on day 8 and 9 they all had little bouncy embryos in them wich is awsome for shipped eggs to begen with .

4. 3 chicken farmers

3 chicken farmers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    grand junction
    all the eggs im useing are mailed eggs and its my first time so im a little nervouse i did just what you said i figured that if i let them get to room temp i could them put them in the bator and i did i put the mi yesterday so i dont have too long b e for i can candel them [​IMG]

5. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    you never know give it a go

6. ChickenPalace

ChickenPalace Out Of The Brooder

You should also candle the eggs to make sure the air sac and the large end of the eggs did not rupture.

A ruptured air sack will appear as a floating air bubble inside the egg that always moves to the top as you rotate the egg. If this happened, then the may not hatch.

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    more then half of my first shipped eggs had detatched air cells and more then half didnt grow , but the six I have growing babies in out of the six I got all had detatched air cells and they are doing fine, I have htem in cartons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by