Eggs Under the Rhubarb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My hen loves to lay her eggs in romantic, shady spots, but if I collect her eggs from it, she'll never lay there again, but find a new spot, for which I have to spend some time searching.

Today I found her newest nest in an out-of-the-way spot under the big rhubarb plant. I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get to her eggs. There were 3 there. Do you suppose if I left one of the eggs in the nest, she'll continue to lay there? Or would it be better to leave 2 eggs or more?

As it gets hotter outside, I hate to leave the eggs in the nest very long. She doesn't like to lay eggs in her coop anymore. I think she loves to be surrounded by the greenery, because she is a romantic. Previously she liked to lay eggs in the mint patch, and under the climbing roses and under the Golden Hops vine.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why not try a couple of golf balls as "nest eggs?"

3. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Yes it should work, I bought wooden eggs and it works like a charm. If you do chose to leave one or two of her own eggs make sure to mark them so you know which eggs are new when you collect. I've made that mistake before and it did not smell good.....

4. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree golf balls or fake eggs. Good luck!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by