1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Under The Roost.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riverpilot69, Apr 19, 2012.

1. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Lately I have found thin shelled broken eggs under the roosting bar in my coop. My girls get plenty of calcium in their diet as well as oyster shells. It seems as if the hen is expelling the egg like she would normaly poop while roosting? I have never had this happen before and am curious as to what is causing this. Anyone out there that may be able to shed some light on this problem?
    Thanks.

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Once in a while I'll have a hen lay an egg during the night. Some are no shell to thin shelled eggs. I don't have an answer as to why this happens though.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    How old are your hens?

4. riverpilot69

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    14 months. Just started recently.

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Do you provide them with a low light, quiet place to lay their eggs? - maybe they don't like the place where you want them to deposit their eggs - I have a separate little room where the nest boxes are located - I read somewhere that they like it quiet and off the main highway -

6. riverpilot69

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Yes I do. extra deep laying boxes. All of the hens use them and I have not had an issue with them not laying in them. I do not find eggs under the roost every day, just every now and then. It just puzzles me as to why this happens.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Were they all laying "normally" until now? Or are they just starting to lay??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by