Eggs under water!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heby, Mar 24, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    My chickens are free range during the day. I have a hen that was secretly laying eggs under my house then decided to sit on all 19 of them. As we are getting close to hatching day which should be the end of this upcoming week, a storm came through last night and this morning. She was right inside a hatch door under the house so we can keep check on her. I know she was sittin on them yesterday afternoon. But this morning it was raining too hard to check on her before church, plus we were running really late. When we got home we seen her roaming around and figured she was taking her quick break. When we checked her eggs, they are sitting in water. Almost covering them. Is it possible that they will still hatch out or is all of them lost?? Could I possibly move her and the eggs to a different place for the remainder of the time? Our last batch yest only had 3 out of 10 hatch. I really hate to lose these too. :(

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That's too bad. I suppose it is worth a try to relocate the eggs and see if she will sit on them for a few more days. I'm not sure, but it might not be a lost cause.

3. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    She is a very good mama. She hatched out some in Jan and sit thru the cold and rain. She only hatched 4 so I was hoping for a better turnout for her this time. Do I have to move her at night or is during the day ok? The new nest would be across the yard. Same place I kept her and her baby chicks.

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I would try it as soon as possible.

5. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    She was kinda in a hole so we just scooted the eggs up to higher ground instead of totally moving them. Im going back out in a few to check to see if she gets bak on them.

6. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    She is sitting on them. I just hope the water didn't let them get too cold. I pray that we have a good turnout and they hatch. We should know in a few days I guess.

7. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all.

8. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

If this happens again, the rain, I would suggest maybe moving the eggs into an incubator (If you have one). If not, do what the other users say, relocate the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by