1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs viable? Unsure of age-- pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coopmama, May 13, 2016.

1. coopmama

coopmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    SW, PA
    This is my first experience with a broody hen on eggs, so I need some help. I know that these eggs were laid on or prior to May 1, because that is the date I separated her from the flock. She is laying on two fertile eggs. Up to this point, I have checked them a few times when she has gotten off of the nest, and I removed infertile eggs. I had always seen progress or movement in these eggs. I think I may still see some movement in one, but I'm not sure about the other one. One was several days more developed than the other, and now I can't tell what's going on. Any thoughts? I hurried to take a few pics while she got off the nest just now.

Egg 1
    [​IMG]

Egg 1
    [​IMG]

Egg 2
    [​IMG]

Egg 2
    [​IMG]

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Its hard to tell from the pictures. it has only been 13 days so there is still 8 days to hatch. Wait and see.

3. coopmama

coopmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    SW, PA
    Okay. That was the plan anyway; I just don't want to get my hopes up if someone can see something wrong that I can't. My broody seems like she's giving up, so I don't want to keep her in there alone if they're not going to hatch. Okay. I'll remain patient and give it the full 21 or so days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by