Eggs waaayyy under porch. Will they stink?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MadChickensVT, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    We finally spotted the eggs that one of our Americaunas has been laying under the porch. We were suspicious because we'd hear her doing the egg song and then emerge. I can see at least three, but there's likely more.

We'll be fencing to keep her and others from under there. But it'll take some real dirty effort to get the existing eggs. Do we risk them going bad and then stinking if we leave them? Keep in mind that we're starting to get frosts and it will be winter soon.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If they don't get broken in between now and spring you could have some problems, but chances are they will freeze and pop over the winter, so problem will be solved.

I had some intact eggs that got tossed into the compost after a Sulmet course. I thought nothing of them thinking that they would be broken open at some point. Well, I didn't turn my compost enough and the eggs somehow survived about a year in the compost until the day I emptied out my compost container. When I accidentally broke the year old composted eggs...OH DEAR GOD!!!...I nearly perished on the spot. The stench was possibly the most disgusting smell I have ever encountered in my life. The area around that compost pile stunk for days. Even the dogs avoided that part of the yard. Horrible.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would go through the effort to get them. Besides the possible stink issue, I'm thinking they could attract rats or other unwanted critters. Sorry [​IMG]

4. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:Oh. My. Gawd. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful that must have smelled!!! [​IMG]

On another note, the first thing I thought of when I read that was that I would send one of my dogs under and they'd make quick work of the eggs [​IMG]

5. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    We had a duck hide her eggs a loooong way in under our dog run a few years ago. It was summertime, and we only realised they were there after hearing several loud 'explosions' and then following the horrendous stink...... [​IMG] It is one of the worst things I have ever smelled, and I have children, so my poor nose had suffered quite a bit over the years!

I would definitely try to find a way to fish them out before they go bad! Maybe a long handled pool net would do the job?

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Can you roll them out with a broom handle or long piece of wood? You might want to close off access with wire for the future.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh. My. Gawd. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful that must have smelled!!! [​IMG]

On another note, the first thing I thought of when I read that was that I would send one of my dogs under and they'd make quick work of the eggs [​IMG]

If your dogs do it, I'll send my poodle over. She will break an egg open to get at the insides [​IMG]

8. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    They're under the main entrance so it sounds like I'd better get them to be safe [​IMG]

9. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    We spotted a few eggs under the porch before I had convicened all the girls to use the hen house. We popped a few boards loose to get at em. Turns out there were 23 eggs under there.

10. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Golfers carry a tool in their bag to retrieve balls from water hazards. The tool usually extends to about 12 ft. and the end is perfect for picking up an egg.
    I grab them whenever I see them at a thrift store or Goodwill. My ducks often make nests in a briar patch and the tool works great for retrieving the eggs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by