1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs washed in cold water

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dippydo, May 18, 2016.

1. Dippydo

Dippydo New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Ohio
    Ok, just a question. My daughter needed two dozen eggs for school today to make crepes. We dont wash our eggs when we store them, just rinse them before we use them. Well we've had a lot of rain so we've had some muddy eggs lately. Before I sent them to school I rinsed them all, using a new sponge to get them clean, dried them and sent her on her way. I just realized that I used cold water to rinse them. They will be cooked all the way, but now im worried. Should they be ok since they will be cooked or should I just go by her two dozen and drop them off to her on my way to work? Ahhhh.....

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    You are over thinking this. They will be just fine

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

I agree.

4. Dippydo

Dippydo New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Ohio
    OK! phew!! Thanks so much!!!

5. gocway

gocway New Egg

May 17, 2016
    They will be fine I wash all 30 of my eggs from my 32 Golden Buff hens every day before I put them in refrigerator. When I boil or make breakfast I use same eggs no more washing. Been doing same way for about 5 years now. No problem, oh my kids use these eggs to

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'm so confused! My girls started laying this past December, so excited no more store bought eggs. However I got 5 hens & two of us, only Hubby eats breakfast & I'm not much of a baker. So what to do with eggs?

I've been storing (egg cartons) unwashed on the counter.
    Keeping 2 - 3 doz in the frig unwashed (been lucky no poopy eggs).
    Washing in cold water prior to using.

I'm "reading" they shouldn't be washed in cold water.
    Eggs should be stored unwashed in the frig.

HELP!

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I won't go into the details, but my research tells me the longest lasting eggs will be those stored unwashed in the refrigerator.

When ready to use, wash in warm water.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If the eggs are to be used immediately after washing, I can't imagine it would make a difference if they were washed in hot, cold water. For storage, they sit unwashed in a basket on my counter until the basket gets full and I refrigerate them (still unwashed) in cartons or we eat or give them away. Excessively poopy or dirty eggs get the chunks brushed off, but not washed.

1 person likes this.
  9. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Here's why. Eggshells are porous. If you wash in cold water the egg cools and the volume of the liquid egg decreases, reducing the pressure in the egg. Liquid moves from an area of higher pressure to one of lower pressure, so the wash water will pass through the porous eggshell, carrying bacteria with it. To avoid, wash in water that is just slightly warmer than the TEMPERATURE OF THE EGG. This means that if your eggs are coming out of the fridge, wash in cold water, just not colder than the cold egg.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. gvwjbern

gvwjbern Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Newbie here. Just go my first eggs this week. I heard eggs are not supposed to be washed, so I never did and just put them in the frig. I plan on washing them right before I cook them. Thanks for the all the info on this thread. Good to know I didn't screw up breakfast for the weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by