eggs were duds fell for it twice!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by futurefarmer08, Jan 14, 2009.

1. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Am I just too trusting? I am definately new at this. There is a lady locally that I bought Black Copper Marans eggs from. I was happy that they wouldn't have to be shipped! I went to her place and picked them up. She showed me around and I was so excited. Long story shorter.... I had inferior incubators and none of them hatched. One of them pipped but then died. My husband did like an egg topsy on the rest and only the one that pipped had developed fully. There was a partially grown one and the rest of the 12 did not look fertile even. I told her how it turned out and that I had ordered eggs from someone else. She offered to sell me some again. This time I got a LG incubator and an egg turner. She was asking me who I got my eggs from and then warned me about some other breeder she had tried. etc. So my 6 eggs I got from another breeder I hatched 4 of them. I was happy with that. They are very strong healthy birds. It is day 24 on the eggs I got from this lady and NOTHING. I am really mad. [​IMG] She sells her eggs on e-bay I think. I am thinking I will just have to learn my lesson because If she is that mean to sell me bum eggs twice and she knows where I live and my phone # I don't want any trouble with her if she is CRAZY:mad: I really feel cheated though. I could have taken the time and money and had a beautiful bunch of chicks right now. What do you think?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think the lesson here is to never buy from her again. Since you did not purchase them on e-bay I would stay away from that altogether. Just my opinion.

3. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    its really sad thatthere are people out there that take advantage of others....[​IMG]

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    It could be she is just a bad breeder that doesn't ever check her fertility. I personally think that is MUST... In fact, I am going to start another thread...HOW OFTEN SHOULD FERTILITY BE TESTED...right now.
    Hugs on the Marans. Maybe you got a boy and 3 girls and will have a beautiful flock [​IMG]

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I say let her know & see if she offers to make it right. You never know. [​IMG]

6. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    where are you at ?? I am in Newnan Georgia and I have black coper marans and I do have eggs for sale. If it were me I think I would ask her if she would at least replace the last 6 since you had a new incubator. Even though I ship eggs when I have had a buyer tha got a 0 hatch rate I do ship them more eggs . EVEN though with shipping you take a huge risk of them , I still give them the benefit of the doubt and offer extra egs. Of course there are dishonest peope out there and I would hope that since you live in tha same town she would want to protect her rep. and offer more eggs, not everyone is like that though. Good Luck in what ever you chose to do and have a great day .

7. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Thanks for the input! She does test her ferility rate and she was telling me that other people had good hatch rates so I thought it was just me. I am wondering if maybe her flock is sick or? This is the 2nd batch of 12 that I have gotton. So what are the chances that out of 24 only 2 would be viable. The two were incubated in the inferior incubator. This time I had a great incubator and a turner. Oh well, live and learn. Oh, I live near Sacramento Ca. I am looking for some new BC marans eggs but I don't know how far is too far to ship. My last batch came from Texas. They were great!
    Thanks again.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by