1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs were washed - need to vent...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Griffox, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I bought some eggs last week from a local woman and they have been in the bator for 7 days. I have been hand turning them (washing my hands first).

Yesterday, the seller called me and offered me 40 more eggs for free. When I went to pick them up, she mentioned that she had washed them. I didn't say anything to her b/c I didn't want to be disrespectful - she's been really helpful and I'm new to incubating and the eggs were free. But, out of a bator full of eggs she had due this week, only four of hers hatched.

When I candled today there seem to be quite a few bloodrings (that weren't there on day 5.) The only reason I candled again today is because there were some that looked infertile on day 5 and I wanted to be sure before reporting back to the seller how many were actually viable.

How bad does this hurt my chances of a successful hatch? I am wondering if the bloodrings are from the embryo's getting bacterial infections due to being washed? Does anyone hatch washed eggs?

I just bought an LG (with turner, this time) to accommodate the new eggs, so I'm hoping that with less handling they may have a better chance at success. I'm going to be bummed if, after following the BYC Bible of incubating to a "T", my embryos all die. [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Alot of breeders wash eggs. It is one of those 2 sides of a coin. Some people believe you must and some people are dead set that you must not.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My 2 cents, I ordered some eggs, a lot were dirty, and I had a rotten hatch (3 chicks out of 36 eggs) the 3 hatches after that I washed some of my eggs before I decided to incubate, I had great hatches.
    JMHO

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I try not to wash my eggs unless they are very dirty (which is not often) But, I have not seen that it makes alot of difference as long as the eggs were handled gingerly and incubated correctly. MPO though. [​IMG]

5. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Im just curious what is the point of washing the eggs? Is it to protect the egg from bacteria? If thats the case, then what about when the mother hatches the eggs? Or is it to avoid possible contamination of your incubator from various sources of eggs?

6. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    Not knowing much about hatching at all---I always side with mother nature. That being said, I've never seen a chicken wash her egg before she sits on it.

7. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I read that eggs have a protective layer of film on them if you will and it keeps bad bacteria out of the eggs. When you wash them you wash away that added barrier. I believe excess dirt, grime, mud whatever on an egg can inhibit the ability of it to "breath"so to speak. my hens always lay in thier nest boxes which i clean and provide with fresh hay so I dont have a problem with dirty eggs. I only wash them right before I use them. I have one duck hen however that likes to lay her egg on the ground but usually i can just wipe any sand off it.

8. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Excellent point!

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I just hatched my first baby chicks with a broody hen and those eggs were pretty dirty by the end. They were unwashed, but clean, when I gave them to her, but by the 2nd candling they were pretty dirty (from her feet, I guess.) I still had 8 out of 9 hatch.

10. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I think whatsup hit the nail on the head mentioning possible contamination of your incubator. The warm moist environment in the incubator is a perfect place to grow bacteria. Why anyone would want to put eggs in theirs contaminated with mud and/or poop is beyond me. I wash dirty eggs when needed by hand under hot running water.
    db

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by