1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs with a bubble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrystol, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I received some eggs about 4 days ago and I started to candel them tonight, as I'm turning the egg to find the baby there's this bubble following me. Why would there be a bubble and can this be classified as NO GOOD? Or just keep it and wait to see what happens?? Several of the eggs that I received has this bubble following me, one out of 16 eggs, I can see a baby chick forming, the ones with bubbles I can not..

2. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Sounds like a loose air cell. Were they shipped? I don't think people usually have success whenever the air cell is loose. I never did.

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    yes they were shipped, I'm just not having any luck with shipped eggs this year..

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:Would you say its safe to get rid of it now???

5. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I never had much luck hatching eggs - I'm jealous of people here that are good at it! I tried for 2 years, but I did have better luck with hatching my own eggs, or eggs that I bought from a local guy. I bought a lot of shipped eggs and spent a lot of money. I do have a really cool cuckoo silkie that I hatched out 2 years ago. I don't think I have any others that hatched, now that I think about it.

I remember that someone on here was able to hatch from eggs with a loose air cell, so maybe if you did a search you could find some info on it. If it was me, I'd probably wait a few days just in case!

Good luck, wish I had happier news!

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ok, I did good on my first batch, in fact one is wiggling as we speak but 27 eggs after that, horrible luck..

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    yes if it has loose bubbles floating around then the air cells are broken. I have NEVER gotten one of these to hatch. I dont even try any more. I toss them. But thats just me. JEN

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    gotcha then I will through about 9 out tonight. leaving them alone doesn't help any?

9. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    some people have said they can hatch them...it doesnt hurt to try, I just never have gotten them to grow. [​IMG]

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That really stinks out of 16 eggs I know one of them i can see the chick forming and all these others have this bubble going on. really stinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by