Eggs with blood in yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JulieZ, Jul 20, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I collect eggs daily, sometimes twice. They are cleaned & placed in the fridge right away.

Tonight I scrambled some eggs. In 3 of the eggs I cracked, there was blood in the yolk. Just a speck or two. Nothing that made me toss my cookies. But what was that ... an embryo?

2. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Responding to myself [​IMG] after a brief research. Here's what I found ... Reckon I didn't have to toss those eggs out but it scared me. [​IMG]

>>Eggs with a visible blood spot on the yolk are safe for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife. Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny spots are not harmful and are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Mass candling methods reveal most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat<<

3. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I wasn't sure when cooking dinner whether to keep the egg with the blood spot, so I scooped out that yolk and tossed it. A friend had mentioned if the kids chased the chickens it would cause this. After reading up on it, I am not sure. Glad to knowntheynare safe to eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by