eggs with free air sacks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missychicky, Jun 24, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Can a egg that has a free air sack hatch? How likely/unlikely is it? If it did hatch would the chick be affected at all by the free air sack??

2. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    In my experience eggs with free air cells that move from one end of the egg to the other will not hatch. I've hatched some that have air cells that are still attached but a little "loose." If you let the eggs settle for 24 hours, sometimes their air cells will reattach.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    All of me shipped eggs lately have had broken or detached air cells. No new babies for me since the 3rd of this month. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I usually set them anyway with hopes that they attach, but so far nothing.

4. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    settle- does that mean you don't turn the eggs at all for 24 hours?

5. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Me too, I got lucky one batch I got 1 out of 15 (which I had to help hatch all night or it would not have made it), and another 1 out of 13 developed but we will see if it actually hatches. All had detached air cells. Everyone I know here in CA has had the same problem with shipped eggs lately.

6. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Quote:It means to put them "large end up" without turning, an egg carton is perfect for it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    No eggs with a detached air cell have ever hatched for me either [​IMG]

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Me too, I got lucky one batch I got 1 out of 15 (which I had to help hatch all night or it would not have made it), and another 1 out of 13 developed but we will see if it actually hatches. All had detached air cells. Everyone I know here in CA has had the same problem with shipped eggs lately.

Thought it was just me. I got zip out of 5 different hatches [​IMG] all shipped eggs and some so scrambled I could have made breakfast.

My last batch of shipped eggs are in the bator now. Soooo many broken air cells. I let them setup for a few days just to see if that helped and but most were floating from one end to the other and never reattached, but I set them anyway. They're due July 7th, so we'll see if my luck changes at all.

I got one order shipped to Lincoln CA and the tracking info said I should pick up!!!??? I have no idea where Lincoln is, but it's not even a couple of hours from me, so when I got them finally I did set them. Although 5 did develop, not hatches [​IMG]. The rest of the 15 were scrambled or broken. I was so bummed out. Best packing job I ever saw too. Still NO Wellies for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by