Eggs with moving yolks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I got some cayuga duck eggs from a fellow BYCer. I hand turn them, so I candle them every so often to see what's going on. A few of the eggs look like the yolk is moving around in there when I turn it? They don't look scrambled, just like they aren't stuck in one spot like the others. Is there any chance these will hatch?

Plus I have 2 pekin eggs from another BYCer. These two eggs have moving air sacs. They have been set for 4 days, and when I turn and candle them, the air bubble follows the turn all the way around. These are no good right? Or can they hatch that way?

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Nah, those jigglers are no good. And the ones with the moving air sac are rotten. Get rid of them quick!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Veins usually don't start to appear that early and you shouldn't candle until at least day 7. Don't throw them out just yet.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just do it cause I'm hand turning anyway, and I knew there were some that were not right. Plus I have other duck eggs in there due next week, so I candle those. I've been cooling those, so keeping the bator open for a bit is not going to hurt them. I was just asking if the moving yolks and air sacs had any chance, or if I should just toss them.

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If the yolk moves freely it just means an older egg. If the airsack is intact on these give them a chance.

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I meant that until you see veins, the baby hasn't really started growing, so the yolk will move around. That does NOT automatically mean they are bad. You have to give them until at least day 11 or 12 to really see.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Oh that's good. I have never had any that had yolks that would move, so that's why it bothered me. I probably have not had eggs that were so easy to see into actually! These are very easy to candle! I don't ever toss anything until either it stinks or weeps(hasn't happened yet), has went past the due date, or when I know it's bad and I need the room.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The yolks always move around when I turn chicken eggs while candling. The only egg that didn't I guess didn't get turned while being stored because it quit by day 10 and after breaking it open the yolk was stuck to the inside of the shell. MHF candling site (http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/index.html) specifically says you may have to wait while candling for the yolk to float around where you can see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by