Eggs with No development - when to toss

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wildsky, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    When should I toss eggs that have not developed or have a blood ring in them?

I'm on day 15 right now, last time I candled was a few days ago - out of 14, I think 5 are good.... the others just had a dark spot - one had a blood ring.

I don't want to toss out babies, but I don't want to have rotting eggs in the incubator either.

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Chelly: I have trouble seeing in my eggs sometimes as they are dark brown. One time, I thought they were all bad when candling. Subsequently, they all hatched. I used my nose, and I never smelled anything foul so I left them alone and waited. Presto, Chicks! So much for my candling abilities.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I never knew what a blood ring looked like...out of the 5 I had left in my bator 2 hatched [​IMG]...........I would have bet all my money and kids [​IMG] I had NO good eggs ! I got two girl ! So I say leave them in........and wait and see [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yeah I have NEVER candled before - all the eggs are green. But some are SO obviously growing - I can see veins and little moving blobs...
    But the others are just a dark blob, nothing else.... I guess it won't hurt to leave them - its just becmeing a little tedious hand turning... and then I feel its for nothing for 75% of the eggs in there.

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wild........none of mine showed movement , that I saw anyway.....none smelled.......so I left them in there......... [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Yeah see I can see it in a few of them, so when I compare them I automatically assume those others are DOA's....

One has a very clear blood ring around a darker area.... it was one I thought had a tiny crack in the shell - but no smell as yet.

7. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    I'm playing that same game. My eggs are dark chocolate and I can't candle them very well. However, i did toss some that i knew were empty and they were not even fertilized. The few I have left are due Friday the 7th and they have big dark blobs in them, an airsack but i have not seen movement, NOT once during this batch. I'm so anxious and frustrated i can't see them moving or really see the baby growing like i could the silkies a couple months ago. I guess I'll know this weekend what's going on, huh? And i promise to stop touching them from here on out.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I candled ONE last night one that I knew had veins in it on earlier days....
    at first look it was completely dark, but after a few seconds, I could see most of it completely dark and then I could see the air pocket and a small space - I'm guessing thats one big chick in there and it can't move much at this point, poor little girl was probably sleeping (I'm hatching ALL pullets [​IMG] )

You don't have long BikerbabeRules, a couple of days!!!

I stop turning on Friday, and then its a LONNNNNGGGG weekend waiting. Monday is Day 21.

[​IMG]

9. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    hey there wildsky, let me know the trick to hatching all pullets! I want some of your eggs! :)
    i had some silkie eggs in the corner of the barn in December, saw the 2 little silkie girls sitting on them. I brought them in the house after candling them in the barn and voila, at different days, we got some silkies and near as i can tell, all but one is a boy. It was my first experiment. Never done this before, new to chickens, learning quickly. Nothing like baptism by fire. At any rate, i was psyched to find fertile eggs on line and the rest is history. 2 baters, almost full.....oh no. I have you fine people to thank for that. Funny how addiction is so easily spread..... :)
    what are you hatching? and where are you?

10. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I'm in the same boat Wild... Have 16 eggs, had 20 but tossed four cause three were clear and one had a definite blood ring (it was light colored and I could see perfectly). There are 7 for sure that are good to go, lots of movement, veins, etc. But the nine others... just dark blobs and dark tan shells. I'm leaving them in anyway. Today is day 18 and I candled for the last time last night.

[​IMG] for both of our batches of GIRLS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by