eggs with no shell or membrane?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roosty, Feb 10, 2009.

1. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    My friend has just got 2 sultan hens and a roo from a man that posted them on craigslist for free. She said that he told her they were 2 years old and had laid last year. They were not laying when she got them but one started a few weeks after. The problem is its laying eggs with no shell or membrain...just the yolk and white....like you had cracked an egg in the frying pan. What could be causing this? Need calcium??I wish I had a picture for yall. Ill see if she can get one so I can post it.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I have no clue, but that's will scare the hell out of me, I hope one of the experties on the fourm will be able to help you.[​IMG]

Omran

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    According to Storey's Guide, the most probable culprits for soft or missing shells are poor nutrition (vitamin deficiencies) or disease. No mention of what would cause the membrane not to form.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    They need calcium in the form of oyster shells (crushed) or there feed should contain the mineral.

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I had one lady that did that last week. just once thou. she squezed it out and looked back down at the box like what the? and it was all over the place.. it was like the yolk just HAD to get out... like a mess up in the production line and lucy hit fast......that one came out fast adn all since have been fine.... I account it to a hickup.... I will say this thought I know that night I had changed the timer in the barn and adjusted the time the light goes out, it was going off to late .. I wonder if that had anything to do with it!!!

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yep,
    The lack of shell at the begining and end of a laying cycle is no big deal, it happens from time to time, vitamin and calcium suplements will fix that right up, but no membraine??
    I have never seen that, are you sure they are not laid with the membrane then is gets poped and eaten?
    Give' em some supplements and a week or two and see if it gets better. If not, she may have just found out why they were free!
    Aubrey

7. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Im not sure if they were laid with the membrane and then popped and eaten...my friend just said that the eggs looked like they were in a frying pan....the hen has laid 3 so far like this... when she told me about the first egg. I thought it was just a fluke and it would be fine the next egg but then it did it 2 more times.maybe thats why they were free....he should have told her though if that was true. [​IMG] she is giving the hen oyster shell is there anything else I can tell her to give them?

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You might want to tell her to get a copy of "The Chicken Health Book" (or whatever it's called), by Gail Damerow. That has a lot of good information in case the oyster shell alone isn't enough.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:That would be a god idea, also maybe some vitamin/mineral supplements in the water.
    If it's just 3 or so, I would get too carried away though, my turkeys do this every year in the beginning and at the late end of their laying cycle, just a couple here and there, and then they straighten out. Now if it continues for another week or two, then there may be a deficiency or illness, but a little time and oyster shell, will most likely fix the problem.
    Keep us posted if they don't improve!
    Aubrey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by