eggs with no shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lothiriel, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    is it safe to eat an egg that's all squishy (like the one in ellie's post about them)? we got one today. it's the first "shell-less" egg this flock has laid, although we did get one from one of our old hens when they started to lay.

2. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I don't know the answer, but I would have eaten the egg. Did you see the yolk? It was beautiful. I just had several eggs to eat, so it wasn't needed.

Probably better just to toss it, but I saw nothing wrong with it.

Ellie

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    yes, the yolk was beautiful. so was the one in the egg i got. i gave it to my dog - she loves eggs in her dog food. [​IMG] the yolk was huge and a gorgeous golden color. i was jealous that Ginger got to eat it, b/c i wanted it. [​IMG]

4. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Hmmm........I don't know the answer either! [​IMG] Very sorry! But I suppose it's safe to eat it. You'll probably need to wash it a little before eating because it might caught some germs. I'm sure your dog Ginger enjoyed her snack! [​IMG]

Congratulations on the oddly beautiful egg! It's very fun to have strange eggs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by