Eggs With no shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1country, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 1country

1country Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm new to the chicken game and I have a question about egg laying . Can a chicken lay an egg with out a shell ? I found one in the nesting box and one on the ground and didn't see any egg shell anywhere . Can someone shed some light on this . thanks

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    As far as I know - no the shell must be present to leave the chicken. There is sometimes a soft shell that will occur when the chickens become frightened about a predator or some such, but even those are 'eggs' just with a soft shell. My guess that you just haven't discovered the shells as yet. Chickens will sometimes eat the content of broken shells.

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:[​IMG] - Sorry Christine but eggs without shells happens all of the time, like when hens are terrified or believe they are about to be attacked. Also, eggs without shells or even rubber eggs can happen if hens get round worms as well.

Are there any other symptons like, lethargic, loss of weight even though the hens eating or even green poop (which is bile)?

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Yes. I know that they can lay soft shelled but I didn't know there would be just egg 'innards'.

5. 1country

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for the info its very helpful

6. RSFChicks

RSFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Rancho Santa Fe
    very strange...never heard of that! If you can try and catch your hen righ when she gets up after laying and it should shed more light on the situatuation.

www.facebook.com/ranchosantafechicks

7. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    r they young hens
    mine laid a couple no shell eggs when they started

8. 1country

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes they are young there about 18 weeks old . so I take it's kinda common for this to happen .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by