Eggs with no veining in area...is this normal???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyChickens09, Mar 24, 2012.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Just candled my eggs that go into lockdown tomorrow and two of the eggs have an area with no veining just empty space. It's weird shaped approximately 1/4 to 1/2 wide and 1-1/2 long. *can't get pictures to show any help would be appreciated*

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Is it the air cell?

3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Do you mean that there is no "blob" of chick or anything? Did they have veins before that just disappeared? If there is absolutely nothing, then they were infertile or for some reason never started developing. If there is a "chick blob", then it could be blocking your view of the veins? I don't recall seeing veins later on in incubation last time I hatched eggs, but I did see chicks wiggling and such.

4. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    It runs into the air cell but it on the side of the eggs. They do have developed air cells on the big end of the eggs. Babies are very active so I know they are ok at this point.

5. CrazyChickens09

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    It's like their veins just stopped at a certain point.

6. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Oh, so there are veins in the egg but one spot just doesn't have any? I think I misread your post as "there is no veining in the egg" [​IMG]
    If there are veins and the chicks are moving, then everything is probably okay, there is just a random vein-less spot for no particular reason [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If there is some yolk left unabsorbed, it can look like a yellowish area to the side of the chick. If you have experienced any low temp days, your dittles may hatch a day or two late in order for them to absorb all the yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by