Eggs without a yolk from my little cochin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amberflea, Dec 13, 2010.

1. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    I rescued a little white cochin hen from a guy who no longer wanted her... she started laying for me within 2 weeks of coming "home". But her eggs have no yolks! (the guy said she was 2 years old) She lays about every other day, or every 3 days...
    The pictures show 3 eggs with some blood spots or just a stringy white substance attached to a blood spot...
    Is this because she is getting older???
    The bowl has a moose on the bottom. For one of the eggs you need to look carefully at the moose head [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    The first thing that comes to mind is nutrition. Did the other person feed her properly? Give her all the nutrients she needed? I guess it could be age, but I have never had a chicken with some age do that before, they just slow down. I have a 5 year old banty cochin here and she only lays an egg a week but they are normal. I even hatched out a couple of them from her and my banty cochin roo and the chicks were healthy and as far as I know survived, I gave the chicks to the neighbor and I am pretty sure I see them running around sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eggs without yolk are called "dwarf" or "wind" eggs. Such an egg is most often a pullet's first effort, produced before her laying mechanism is fully ready. In a mature hen, a wind egg is unlikely, but can occur if a bit of reproductive tissue breaks away, stimulating the egg producing glands to treat it like a yolk and wrap it in albumen, membranes and a shell as it travels through the egg tube. This has occurred if, instead of a yolk, the egg contains a small particle of grayish tissue.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Low in cholesterol too.

Too bad you can't incubate the eggs.

It's kind of like a seedless watermelon. How do you plant those?

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    People would pay good money for yolkless eggs! Eggwhite omlets, boiled egg whites....[​IMG]

Maybe she's on to something! A visionary chicken!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    To me it looks like the yolks are there, just VERY, VERY pale. Which is a lack of nutrition. Give her good quality chicken feed, some vitamins in her water and some greens and they should brighten up in about 3-4 weeks. Good luck.

9. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Quote:I have been giving her good feed, greens when available. But I haven't given her vitamin water, what do you suggest for that? And is it OK as all my chickens would drink from it...

I've also had her for more than 2 months now... and still no yokes... she seems healthy, and funny thing is, her being the smallest, she rules the roost!!

10. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Im sure that you are feeding her well and that the problem here is an abnormality in this chickens reproductive system (see my previous post in this thread)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by