Eggs without shells for 2 + weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sfischer, Aug 16, 2012.

1. sfischer

sfischer In the Brooder

May 20, 2011
    We have a very sweet Barred Rock who has for the last few weeks been laying eggs without shells. At first I thought that maybe they were being eaten by the chickens but I am now pretty sure she is laying shell less. Her shells had been pretty thin for the last few months but regular. Its been at least 2 weeks and maybe more like 4 since we have had an egg from her. They have constant food and water but it has been pretty warm these last few weeks. They do get treats too. I do give them oyster shells but not regularly.

She is a year old.

I will get some apple cider vinegar tonight but I havent really tried anything for this.

Thanks

2. More oyster shell might be beneficial. I'm no expert, but had the same trouble last year as a newbie with older chickens. Do you give them treats? Try this. I have not met a chicken yet who does not like a slice of processed cheese. It's probably something that everyone has in their fridge. It has calcium. Try it as a treat every night. It might help.
    I also discovered that some leafy greens might block the absorbsion of calcium. Do you feed them spinich?
    I tried everything under the sun to make the laying normal, but alas, the poor girl was all laid out.

3. sfischer

sfischer In the Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Ok - thanks for the feedback - I am going to get more of the oyster shells for their daily consumption. We do eat spinach daily and I bet a bit gets into their diet as dinner scraps maybe I will keep an eye on that.

Thanks

4. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Songster

Jul 28, 2012
    Just leave the oyster shell where they can get to it and they will regulate how much they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: