Eggs ---Worming

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tx_dane_mom, Nov 4, 2007.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Hey guys,
    #1: How long after worming do I have to wait before eggs are edible?
    #2: Also, none of my girls laid yesterday (the day after worming.) Is that normal?
    #3: And, if they aren't edible...are they still fertile/can they be hatched/what can I do with them besides throw them away?
    Thanks SO much,
    Kristi

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on what you used to worm them. I know Levamsasole (sp?) has a seven day withdrawal and Eprinex no withdrawal. Don't know about others. They are okay to hatch, I understand (did research on that very thing), and it should not affect fertility.

3. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I used Wazine...I guess I will read up on it more.
    Thanks

4. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Hmm....it says do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption...well that is NO good at all! I used it in all my birds! [​IMG] Can someone suggest a wormer to use next time that IS safe for egg consumption?
    Kristi

5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Oh dear! That's what I used too!

I gave the two days of eggs to the dogs, who are very happy, and then started eating them myself.

6. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I am searching & searching & I really can't find any recommending time suggested before it's safe to start eating again. Slaughter time is 14 days, so maybe then I would assume...?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Almost none of the wormers are FDA approved for egglaying chickens because basically, big business runs the FDA, IMO, and they dont worm. They make them lay nonstop for a year or two, tops, then cull them and get new layers. That's why most of us must use off-label meds for our chickens. The Levamasole withdrawal was given to someone I know by an avian vet, so I trust that info, but that wormer isn't approved for chickens at all.

8. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I have 7 week old chicks. I am new to the chicken "scene" How do you know when your chickens HAVE worms?

9. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I would think you'd do reading up on that online or even start a new thread if you really want good answers. I, for one, can't answer that. Sorry [​IMG] I am all for preventative measures.
    Kristi

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I had a hen poop out tiny worms. I freaked and used valbazen (sp). And from everything I've read, I waited 2 long weeks before I resumed eating the eggs. Some people differ on this and wait 1 week.

Read everything you can on that issue, and use your best judgement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by