1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs you buy to hatch can they give your flock any kind of Illness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crzychicken, Mar 25, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Hello I was telling a neighbor that I bought some eggs to hatch and they asked me this and I have no idea.[​IMG] If you buy eggs to hatch [​IMG] if those eggs can carry anything (after their hatched) and can they give it to your flock ??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Good question! I have no idea but would really like to know the answer.

3. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    I never thought about it when I bought eggs from other BYCers
    Maybe there fine but it would be nice to know or what to ask before you buy any.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The answer is YES. Certain diseases, such as MG, can be passed through
    an egg to the chick. I believe it can live for 3 days in an egg but it
    may be much longer.

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Buy a bator!!![​IMG]

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    What's MG?

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    from http://priory.com/vet/egg.htm
    MYCOPLASMOSIS

Mycoplasmosis is a series of bacterial infections caused by bacterium mycoplasm of various types in egg type layers. Mycoplasmosis results in severe economic losses in egg type layers in terms of reduced egg production and higher mortality. Eggs with Pimpled shells were also associated with Mycoplasma infections (Branton et al., 1997). Flocks infected with Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) and Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) produced fewer eggs (Mohammad et al., 1987). The authors reported a loss of 127 million eggs and $7 million due to MG only. North (1984) reported 20-30% drop in egg production due to MS. These losses are very high and would narrow the margins between cost of production and net profit from commercial egg laying birds. Efforts shall always be made to reduce losses thereby increasing egg production. This could however, be possible through better health management and the application of improved husbandry skills. For effective control of MG, a vaccine has now been prepared and is administered in drinking water when the layers are 12 weeks old. However, the disease is mostly transmitted through eggs from the infected or carrier birds to the newborn chickens. Thus, it is imperative for the breeders to have a regular blood test program and eliminate infected or carrier birds from the flocks. An effective measure to prevent its vertical transmission has been developed by heating eggs prior to incubator placement at a temperature of 460C. At this temperature no mycoplasma will survive, however heating eggs at this temperature may have a slight impact on hatchability.

the eggs can be "carriers" of diseases... i think crd also an be in eggs... MYCOPLASMOSIS, which is MS or MG commonly called that is...also where it says 460c i think it is 46 degrees celsius not 460

8. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    WOW Thank you 98 gt A blood test is the only way to tell other than bumpy eggs could a vet do this test ??

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Good info 98GT. I assume the 460C is actually 46.0C.

Crzychicken, MG turns up as a "chicken cold" which can be as simple
    as a sneezing chicken to runny noses, infected eyes, and even death.

10. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    PC, i corrected this under the copy and pasted text from the website... in my very last line... i did catch that when i reread what was in he post...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by