eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jc mac, Mar 12, 2016.

1. jc mac

jc mac Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    the othe day I went out to the ccop, I have 2 red sex link hens that give me 2 brown eggs almost every dayl, except the other day, one brown one and one white egg that was smashed. any ideas?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, you have six hens and get two eggs daily - first question is are you certain of the breed of all six hens (posting photos will help) - because with the egg count you have been getting, the mysterious white egg may be a previously non-producing bird coming into production that is not what breed you think her to be.
    Brown eggs are actually white eggs with a layer of brown "spray paint"/pigment applied just prior to being layed (looking at the inside of the shell will show a white egg) - it *could* be that your layer has experienced an issue with pigment and thus laid an egg with no pigment on the outside.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Was the broken egg shell soft or hard? If it was hard, you may have a girl that's discovered how tasty eggs are. If it was soft, be sure you have crushed oyster shell available 24/7.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by