Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wolfie2, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Wolfie2

Wolfie2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    South of Houston
    I have a new flock of 6 Buff Orpington hens that have just started laying. They are 5 months 1 week old and I got my first egg last week. We are up to 3 eggs per day. The eggs seem a little small, about the size of "Banty"( small fighting chickens) eggs. I have had Orps before and don't remember their eggs being this small. Also I don't remember starting out small and getting bigger but then that was quite a few years ago. In the catalogs they are listed as being large egg layers. Will the eggs get bigger as the hens mature?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Undoubtedly they will (or should [​IMG]) in my experience.

CT

3. Wolfie2

Feb 23, 2016
    South of Houston
    CTK, I hope they do get bigger. These ladies are replacing 4 RSLs that laid absolutely huge eggs but are, sadly, at the end of their laying days. Their eggs would not fit in a jumbo carton. Guess I might be a little spoiled.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Just have a quiet word with them, and drop the words "axe", "crockpot", "stew" and see how they do [​IMG]

5. Wolfie2

Feb 23, 2016
    South of Houston
    LOL! Was surprised to see someone reply so quickly as it was around midnight. Then I saw where you live. Mornin from Texas!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Good afternoon (just)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by