Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bl Copper Maran, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Bl Copper Maran

Bl Copper Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Ok so my grains asked me to post a question on here. Her hens have ceramic eggs in laying boxes but the hens lay on the ground. My hens all (except my speckled Sussex) grew out of it. Anything else she can do? Sometimes the hens are laying in the roosts too, so they end up with broken eggs.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Fake eggs in the nest boxes are usually quite effective, so I'm thinking the next boxes themselves may be unattractive for the hens. I found with my flocks that they like sheltered and private places to lay, where they feel they can "hide" when laying. Tell her to make the boxes a bit darker and see if that helps?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Also make sure nests are easy to get in/up to and out/down from.
    More info needed:
    New layers?
    Older birds bullying pullets from nests?
    Not enough nests to go around?

I've had a couple pullets that did not like the fake eggs at first.
    When I have new layers in the coop I always leave one nest empty of fakes.
    Always a stubborn(or stupidish) pullet that lays elsewhere than nests.

Finally caught one the other day after a half dozen eggs on floor, I watched her lay on floor then grabbed her in her post laying stupor and put her in a nest. She did not like it. Next day saw her settling into same place on floor, shooed her out of there and put a bucket in that spot. She finally got into regular nest and laid, we will see if it 'takes' long term.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You could tell her to put up nest box curtains....I have them and they help....

Cheers!

5. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Alright I'll let her know. Thanks for your help!!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I hope it helps some! Reading another thread earlier, I realised again that sometimes, in spite of our best efforts… > Funniest place you found a nest

7. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Yeah lol
    Thanks for the help. She will probably put up some curtains in the boxes to make them darker and leave one box without ceramiic eggs. And it's coming onto winter here so that might be why the other one isn't laying. They could be being bullied by the other hens but they've mostly gotten along. Thanks for the help!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by