Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rigagirl, Dec 28, 2008.

1. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    I have read somewhere not to wash eggs in cold water, so i try to use warm. We have tried to peel hard boiled eggs and its not easy when you want the egg to look nice. Seems like the egg is dry, the only way i can describe it. could it be because the water might be too cold that i am washing them in? any ideas would help me. we have cooled in fridge a few hrs in and out of water, tired peeling right away and that doesn't help.

Hope i am putting this in the right section.

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have read on here somewhere, that adding salt to the water when boiling eggs helps make the peeling easier. I tried it and yes indeed it does. I think it was like 1/4 cup of salt? Someone please correct me of I'm wrong.

Also, older eggs peel easier. I keep a dozen set aside in the fridge for boiling and use the newest ones for fresh eats.

3. SilverSage

SilverSage Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    If you crack the eggs just the slightest bit before you boil them, the shells will come right off. Of course it takes a bit of practice to get them cracked just right, but you do get to eat the mistakes. [​IMG]

4. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    Thanks, i will try both

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Use the search feature and you will find several threads on boiling fresh eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by