Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 3, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

Ok so if it sounds to good to be true it probly is right. Heh. Ok I had a girl at the local feed store when I was asking about bators and eggs tell me oh I have a ton of chickens I can give you how ever many eggs you want. She has been busey so I finely got it lined up for a dozen eggs for pick up this morning fresh from yesterday , crossing my fingers that the eggs will be good in a week when Ill put them in my bator but hey free eggs why not right......[​IMG]
    Double checked with her last night , walked down to the feed store this morning to pick them up . She is like ok thats five dollers [​IMG] last time I talked to her she was giveing them to me .. Ok fine five bucks for a dozen mutt eggs isnt that bad I guess. So I pay her and she gives me the eggs I start to leave and she is like oh grampa washed them thismorning so there ready to go in the bator [​IMG] , youre not sapose to wash eggs right so the hatchblitly of these jsut went down another notch right, Ok so I get htem home and candle them just for fun to see the air sack or whatever I can see befor I store them till they go in the bator. One is craked, I call her and say hey one is cracked she is like ill bring you another one tammorw , I go back to looking at the eggs, under the light another one has what looks like cracks running almost the enter lengh of the egg but its a tiny crack you cant see it if you look at the egg but you can see it if you candle. I call her back and she sounds kinda grumpy , Ok ill bring you two eggs tammrow to pick up, Took all my tact not to ask for her to make shure they not to be washed. They also look rather wierd when candled so Im off to hunt down pics
    So what do you guys think am I being picky? is this how egg saleing usually goes? what chance to the poor things have after being washed and then sat for about a week ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have washed some eggs before with out a problem. It is best not too though.

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    WOW. She must not be any type of pro. You are not being to picky you did what I would do. And thats her problem if she gets mad. The eggs are cracked and you paid for them shes lucky you didnt say anything to her about the whole free story. So you are fine. She sounds like someone who really needs to be set in place. LOL. Goodluck, keep us posted, -Jay

4. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Isn't that the most annoying thing to do a transaction with someone who changes the terms after you make a deal!

She sure doesn't sound like she knows as much as she wants you to believe she does. Good for you - make her replace the eggs.

Good luck on your hatch!

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    She is really young so I am trying to give her the benifit of the doubt and after she said grampa washed the eggs I was kinda wondering if there grampa's chickens you know [​IMG]
    I just hope at least a couple are good, she told me they have 20 chickens and only mentioned one roo so I was curious if thats to many chickens to fertilize in the first place, I dont know anything about chicken reproduction when it comes to that part, Oh well I figure I should be able to tell by day 5 or so hopefully if there doing anything , Once the bator gets here and I put them in , I am so hopeing 8 or so day old eggs will still work for this scince they havent been shipped. Oh and the Roo is a RIR and the Hens are RIR , BR, and sometying called a wyndott, something like that , any ideas what that is?
    Im so excited and so anxious to get this started I spent 20 bucks on home made bator stuff and spent like 2 hours in the store trying to figure out how to wire the light to the thermastate and how to do it without a lamp kit and what wires to use befor I gave up.[​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Wow, it sounds like a lot of trouble and irritation for mutt eggs.

7. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I put 28 eggs in the incubator the other day ALL of them were washed and ALL but one has significant development! that one that had no develpoment was cracked. but I did not candle prior to setting. I just tossed them all in! I am planning on washing these eggs prior to them hatching too with vanodine. I want to see if I notice any difference in how many floppy chicks I get. I had 2 out of 12 last time. I read that its because of a bacterial conamination from the eggshell... just a trial of sorts!

I think you should set those eggs and see what happens! worse case you'll have clean eggs in the bator!!!

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

Eh what would life be if it was calm saleing every day all day. I woudnt have anything to wonder worry or complain about , where the fun in that.
    Naw I have wanted to hatch eggs science i was in grade school so Im just really excited, Im new to all this so I jsut get kinda confused easy.

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I coudnt reseist looking at the eggs with the light again it looks so cool I have a question now though, Besides the cracked 2 there are 2 that have black speckles you can only see when you candle. Is that bactiria or are they just normal eggs? its not a ring , one has it just a little at the very bottom and one has it in a splotch on one side.

10. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    is it the shell or inside the egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by