eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MCM37, Nov 19, 2010.

1. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    so i have geven my birds light. they eat and drink plenty. they are mature. they are at a good ratio. 4 male and 9 female. but i have no eggs..what am i doing wrong. i was told they would be laying at 6-8 weeks and these are right at 8 wks wtih natta..

2. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    its winter.....

from my experience in winter corts tend to lay at a little older age 9-10 weeks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ya mine started to lay around around 8-12 weeks so dont get discouraged.I would also like to recomend taking some males away it should be around 1 male to 3-5 females so I would take away 1 or 2 of them.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree with moving some males, I wouldn't have more than 2 males with 9 females.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Its Not Uncommon For Coturnix To Start Laying Later Rather Than Sooner, In Some Cases As Long As 14 Wks. Also Is Everything Absolutely Constant And Steady? Are There Any Changes? Cahnge In Pens Or Feed? Coturnix Love Perpetual Sameness--- Everything Must Be Steady Or They Will Not Lay

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Agree - 2 males with the 9 females. I have 1 pen right now with 1M/7Females and they are fertile eggs. And that is a bit high ratio in the opposite direction.

Remember, I had 2 girls not start to lay till they were 11 weeks old. Give them some more time, evidently. I want to figure a way to weed the late bloomers out of the herd. I quess I could measure their pelvic spread for the best layers. Naaa.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The time of year has an effect on them too. I had my first jumbo browns start laying at 12-13 weeks, but they hatched in December. I've not had any spring/summer hatchers that took longer than 8 weeks to lay.

8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Ditto! I have nothing else to add.

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    These 11 weekers came from my Aug hatch. The others in that same hatch started laying on the day at week 6. That's the hatch that I only had 2 that I choose for breeders and picked the others to keep the males happy. I think there were 2 of them and I know which ones. That is the others that don't quite look the same. I was going to get rid of them and haven't yet. So I am going to do an experiment with them and run a separate lineage, for a few generations. I have been waiting for new cages to be built and I think he finished them tonight, so birds will be moving around soon. Some of their eggs will be set next month. Quess I will have to mark eggs by breeder cage. Oh, Vanilla gets his cage and girls then too.

Which reminds me. MCM what feed are the birds on?
    You are giving them light - 14-16 hours total?
    Have you shown us a picture? I want to see their colors, because my girls that started to lay late are Jumbo Browns, but a little different than the others in their coloring. And now I have a cage of reg brown Jumbo Browns that just started laying at 5 weeks from an October hatch. Quess I should take a picture too. But my pics aren't to great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by