eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andrealeec, Aug 20, 2011.

1. andrealeec

andrealeec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    I know this probably seems like a dumb question, but..here goes: My chickens are now 17 weeks old! YAY! Got all 11 from my local feed store when they were day old chicks, and every one of them is still alive. But when should I start seeing eggs? I hear different things all the time, so I don't know what to believe. I have 2 RIR's, 3 BO's, 2 SLW's, 2 EE's, and 1 NH. I am being very impatient because these are my first chickens!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Could be any day now. EEs are notoriously late bloomers. Have their faces and combs turned red yet?

Imp

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Getting eggs before week 20 gets excitedly reported here so often that some folks might begin to think that all chickens will begin laying that early, when in fact, the vast majority of pullets simply don't lay until week 20-26.

Keep the faith.

4. credmond

credmond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Our first layers started laying at appr 24 weeks. It can happen earlier, but I don't think its very common.
    Good luck and enjoy!

5. mamahuhn

mamahuhn Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    don't worry ,it will happen.we got ours this spring and we finally had 2 eggs yesterday and 2 this morning.it will happen:)

6. MED747

MED747 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    i got my first two eggs from my leghorns today they are almost 18 weeks old so soon hopefully

[​IMG]

7. Amore Galline

Amore Galline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Temecula, CA
    Mine are 19 and 1/2 weeks, and I'm still waiting (not so patiently).

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The first of my 7 chickens began laying at 22 weeks/6 days. The last one began at 26 weeks/4 days (today!). The wait was excruciating - I was checking the nest boxes practically every hour. That first egg is wonderful!

9. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I also have RIR and SLW, I bought them on the weekend of July 4th 2010 day olds and got my first eggs on the 25th of December. Merry Christmas to me.....LOL
    Rita

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    BO started this week at 5 months. My older girls started after 5 mo old, some as late as 7 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by