eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thebanthams, Sep 20, 2011.

1. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I usually pick up eggs every night, but what happens if I forgot to get them until the next night. How long can I go without picking a rotten egg? How can you tell if theres a bad egg?

2. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    the eggs will still be good. Unless you have unusual heat or a broody hen several day should be fine. It also matters if they are fertile or not. Warm fertile eggs start to develop a chicken. Warm regular eggs just age.

If you are worried you can do the float test. Put them in water good ones sink.

3. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    One of my chickens laid an egg in the garage, we didn't find it until 2 days later (we have a loveseat in the garage - apparently my buff orp was too good to lay in the nesting box!) - it was still good when we ate it [​IMG]

edited to add - I knew it was 2 days prior only because when we came home from running errands I found her in the garage twice that day, but didn't think to look for an egg, thought she was just being curious is all.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    If ever in real doubt, scramble it up for the chickens, they love them...! Just don't give them raw eggs...

5. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Why no raw eggs?

Lynne [​IMG]

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:they develop a taste for them, will start to eat their own eggs, an almost impossible habit to break...if you find one broken on the floor or ground, scoop it up as fast as you can, and grind the leftover into the ground, they go crazy for it...not a good thing.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Eggs are fine outside for 24 hours unless they get frozen.

If in doubt, do the float test. If the egg floats, throw it way.

I always crack eggs one at a time into a separate small bowl. If I get a bad one, it doesn't ruin my entire recipe.

8. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    What would be the best time to collect eggs - Morning or Night?

9. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:That depends on what works best for you and when your hens lay. Mine all lay in the afternoon and I work all day, so I collect them around dinner time, or when I shut the coop up for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by