Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Oct 17, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    I will have to wait for quail eggs wil they hatch after weeks of mot incubating

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    [email protected] :

So im gonna hatch quail and my question is can it stay with a chicken. The chicken is a small medium hen and its about 13 weeks so will the quail be alright

I wouldn't do it

Baby quails are very small and their feet are very fragil.

the hen can easily stomp them​

3. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    How long would you suggest till I put the quial with the hen like 9 weeks

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Like never.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    [email protected] :

How long would you suggest till I put the quial with the hen like 9 weeks

Did you give up on the idea you had to hatch chickens in your locker at school?
    Some quail are monogamous and mate for life and must be housed 1 male to 1 female only. Other quail must have a covey to be happy. Quail do not perch, they are ground dwellers and have much different needs than chickens. They probably look more like food to the chickens than anything else. Do your research please.[​IMG]

6. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    So even if the hen is docile I cant but the hen had a rooster friend that was a small breed the size of the chick no bigher and the hen was friendly to it is it cuz they grew up together as chicks p.s roosters breed is really small it was full grown and the size of a chick

7. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Quote:Did you give up on the idea you had to hatch chickens in your locker at school?
    Some quail are monogamous and mate for life and must be housed 1 male to 1 female only. Other quail must have a covey to be happy. Quail do not perch, they are ground dwellers and have much different needs than chickens. They probably look more like food to the chickens than anything else. Do your research please.[​IMG]

Ya my mom knows this time im getting quail eggs localy and I think I can only try to hatch three i dont want 12 chicks and the locker thing no im gonna leave them in incubayer til skl is over.

8. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    [email protected] :

So even if the hen is docile I cant but the hen had a rooster friend that was a small breed the size of the chick no bigher and the hen was friendly to it is it cuz they grew up together as chicks p.s roosters breed is really small it was full grown and the size of a chick​

9. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    [​IMG] well I just looked up my question your all right but I wanna try it. But under servalance no chicks/quail will die and if it dont work I will keep them seperated thanks people.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Put that quail in with chickens and you won't be able to catch any of them before the quail is disemboweled. Have you ever given chickens just one piece of a super yummy treat? Try giving your chickens just 1 grape and then try to catch the chicken before the grape is eaten. I promise you will not be able to catch them. And if you think chickens are fast, quail are fast enough to break the sound barrier.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by