Eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick1043, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    My hens egg yolks are VERY orange and VERY thick, and the whites are think too..Are they okay? Or am I just use to store bought? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    You are just used to the store bought 'robo-eggs' as I call them.

The orange color of the yolk is totally normal and is commensurate with what the girls eat. Especially if you let them free range at all like I do, you will get that rich orange color. As for the white, the fresher the egg the thicker that white around the yolk will be. As an egg ages, that part will flow out flatter and flatter.

If I am doing over easy or over medium eggs I will put a little slit in that part of the white when it is cooking so it cooks through.

It sounds like you have lovely eggs, enjoy them!

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I don't know if just my eggs, but the yolk is seated well in the white. But every once in a while the yolk pops out of it's groove and makes a run for it, I am amazed the yolk is so sturdy with fresh eggs. It will cook on a skillet and stay in yolk form without breaking easily, even by itself. It can be picked up with fingers before cooking and really isn't as delicate as the store bought. I re-read this and I can't convey what I mean as well as I'd like.[​IMG]

I first noted this while trying to see if our eggs were fertile.

In other words try separating like you would for some recipes, the yolk is sturdy and the white is thick and doesnt cling to yolk and break yolk when separating. Hard to explain but goes along with OP, they are much neater eggs.

4. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    When I used to do 4-H Poultry Judging "back-in-the-day" one of the things that we considered when determining freshness was how firm the whites were. The older eggs had thin, "flat" albumens and the fresh ones had nice firm ones that stood up better.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Alright! Thanks, everyone! :)

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:I know exactly what you mean, it is just the way eggs are when they are awesomely fresh! We're so accustomed to robo-eggs that we don't realize how old they actually are by the time they get to the store shelf.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's the way they are supposed to be. [​IMG]

8. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    Quote:Excellent tip, I'm going to start doing that. I'm finding that my over-easy eggs are so thick in the middle (due to freshness!) that the white doesn't cook through even when it otherwise looks done.

The yolks don't flatten out either, they look like a sphere standing up in the pan. I'm digging the whole fresh egg thing, and can't wait until my girls are past the tiny "pullet egg" stage!

9. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I used to do 4-H Poultry judging as well. Many, many years ago. And that was the first thing I noticed when I started getting our eggs - how incredibly fresh they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by