Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jflores61, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jflores61

jflores61 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    I just purchased 4 new hens and a rooster and added them to the rooster and 6 hens I already had. My question is the new hens were in with a rooster when I bought them will the eggs they layed be fertilized and how can I tell if they are?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    They could be possibly fertilized. The only way to tell is the incubate them and candle them at around day 7. And [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

Do you want to hatch them? If not, it won't matter as far as the eating of eggs goes.

4. jflores61

jflores61 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    I really don't want chicks right now, is it ok to just eat them?

5. jflores61

jflores61 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    I have to say I love this website I use it all the time. One more question, I have an Austrawhite about 6 montha old and once a week she lays a rubber egg I added oyster shell to help 2 weeks ago but nothing has changed. Help I worry about her.

6. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Its perfectly fine to eat fertilized eggs. People eat them all the time [​IMG] It doesn't effect the taste and it's safe.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Have you tried to put 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to one gallon of water that your chicken drinks? Somehow the vinegar will help your chicken absorb the avaiable calcium, since you do have it available in oystershell.

Yes, you can eat the eggs even if they had been fertilized.

and -- welcome to the forum

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Does she lay eggs with hard shells on the other days of the week? Or is the one rubber egg a week all that she is laying?

9. jflores61

jflores61 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    I think she's laying all week. Hard to tell because I have 2 others that lay white eggs.

10. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:So, it's not uncommon for new layers to lay abnormal eggs. Hopefully, she is laying more good eggs than shell-less ones. All you can do is make sure she is getting good nutrition and offer oyster shell (or clean crushed egg shells) on the side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by