1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FlyingJRanch, Nov 14, 2011.

1. FlyingJRanch

FlyingJRanch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Whats the longest eggs can be stored before you incubate them?

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Depends on who you ask and conditions. If they are kept around 55-60* they can be kept along time. They need to be rotated as if they were in the bator. Ive hatched eggs that have sat on the counter for a month. They say after 7-10 days fertility starts to go down.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree 7 to 10 days after that the viability decreases. Not to say older ones won't hatch. There is a thread where as BYC member put I believe 20 month old eggs in an incubator. I believe 2 did hatch but not sure if they survived. I can't find the thread as the search function isn't working for me.

4. FlyingJRanch

Sep 9, 2011
    Very interesting! Thanks for the replys.. I have eggs in the incubator that have been set for about 9 days. I did not want to do a split hatch unless I absolutely had too.

5. FlyingJRanch

Sep 9, 2011
    THANKS for the welcome! Its a great site!!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by