eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneckgirl, Jun 5, 2008.

1. redneckgirl

redneckgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    I have about 19 laying hens that are almost 5 monthes old, they started laying at 5 monthes,
    but now all the sudden they stopped! what do you think happened?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They started laying at 5 months, now they are almost 5 months... is that right?

3. redneckgirl

Aug 8, 2007
    oooh mann sorry, that was a total typo
    they started laying at five monthes, and are almost 10 monthes old.

4. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Are they molting? Are they freerange. If they are, is it possible they are hiding their eggs. Mine like to do that from time to time. [​IMG]

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Something is wrong here, we need more information. [​IMG]

6. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Has something major changed? New coop, recently moved, major storm happen?? Odd that the whole flock would stop, unless something has upset them. Maybe a raccoon has been disturbing them at night?

Are you giving them the same feed as always? They need high protein layer feed to keep laying, that, and lots of light.

Has your coop bulb burned out? My lights come on at approx. 3.30 a.m.. With increasing natural daylight you wouldn't think they would go into molt, as well their age. Still pretty young birds, but if their light hours are shorter because of a burned out bulb, they may sense it's heading into fall.

Pretty frustrating I imagine.

7. redneckgirl

Aug 8, 2007
    They are moulting, They were hatched in late summer (August) and didnt start laying until winter could that be a factor?
    could also, stress, from my dog constantly bothering them be a contributer too?

when do you guys think the moult will finish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by