Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 9red2blk, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 9red2blk

9red2blk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    I have a question-----
    My RIR and Bard Rock hens have started laying light colored eggs almost a cream color not dark like they use to do .
    What could be causing this ??? the bread I have been feeding them??
    I am feeding Layena laying mash and scratch grains.
    Bob
    9red2black

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    How long have they been laying?

3. 9red2blk

9red2blk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    About a year or so. I don't know if it is the starch in the bread that I'am feeding them or what. My egg buyers like brown eggs.
    Thanks Bob:([​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I heard and read that it makes no difference in what you feed them as to what color the eggs wind up, as it is genetic. However, I am open to finding out the answer to this from more experienced chicken people. [​IMG]

5. emeraldquill

emeraldquill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    I don't quite get this 'egg colour' thing....what difference does it make what colour the shell is? the egg is the same no matter what!! [​IMG]
    People who will only buy brown eggs etc are either very picky or are secretly eating the eggshells also and that flags up the need for a visit to the mental health department!

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG]

7. nmred

nmred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Are they molting? I know that can change the eggs some, though I've never heard that it can change the color. Just size and sometimes shape. It can also effect how much they lay. Some will stop completely until after the molt. I'm really just guessing. I've never heard of this before, but don't think it could be the bread.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by