eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wdbja5, Oct 9, 2012.

1. wdbja5

wdbja5 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    ok I am new to this chicken stuff and I am loving it, I heard u can leave the eggs out of the refrig as long as u don't wash them. If this is the case, how long can you leave them out of the refrig before they go bad?

thanks,
    Darlene

2. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    Welcome
    Your are in the duck section, but a lot of us have chickens and ducks and everything else - You can leave eggs on the counter, but I would not leave them out for more than a week - now that's just me.

3. wdbja5

wdbja5 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    thanks

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    If not washed they can last about three months on kitchen counter. Even longer in the refir.

5. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Go to next comment link I posted did not work Sorry

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    An egg that is not subjected to some form of preservation, whether refrigeration or one of room-temperature methods below, can last fresher longer than you may think. One of the important determinants of longevity is whether the egg has been washed or not. Eggs are coated with a natural “Bloom” which protects them against air and bacteria. In nature, this is to allow the eggs to develop into chicks successfully. Washing the egg strips it of its natural bloom and leaves it vulnerable to to the elements. The Mother Earth News study found the homestead eggs that retained their natural bloom stayed fresh for more than three months on average without refrigeration although the quality and texture began to decline after about two months. Commercial eggs that had been washed lasted a far shorter time. Therefore I DO NOT wash my eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by