eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bubbastump22, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bubbastump22

bubbastump22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    can someone give me an answer..i got 20 eggs on my nest from 2 females that r sharing a nest and neither one is sitting yet... the one i got will sit on the nest at night and cover up the nest as the other one really just wants the nest to lay eggs...how long do i gotta wait to see them start to sit...i knw the eggs r fertile i see my gander making contact 2-4 times a day with each girl ... is there something im doing wrong that they wont sit? i cover up the nest when the one lays and egg and it gives me a chance to count and check for cracked eggs ... and my other one i can get her to walk in the pen when the eggs r not covered up and she will sit on the nest for bout 30 mins and then get off and want out with the other 2...WHAT AM I DOING THAT THEY WONT SIT..... i hope one goes broody soon but how long do i gotta wait im going on 4 weeks of eggs and have already wrote off the first week of eggs..do i just let them pile up in the nest? there free range...get as much food as they want feed and grass.. and there healthy as an ox...of btw they r african geese and a year old if not 11 months till march then a full year at that..will they still sit being that young? what should i do wit the eggs..my chickens arent sitting right now an i dont got an incubator the one i had..went to crap

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm personally not a fan of allowing geese to share nests. If they try to share a nest I always seprate the nests into 2 equal size clutches. As for sitting I would just give it time. With them being young they may not completely understand what they're doing yet. My goose did a poor job sitting the first year but had a 100 % hatch rate the next year.

3. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    oh ok...ya im not a fan of it either but my one goose took over the nest and now they share..i figured id leave it that way cause the nest has a roof on it to keep it dry if it rains... i figured if i got 2 sharing the nest maybe on will go broody ..and then thats when i can officially start counting down the days ..and on the last 2 days ill b checking constantly or leave the one that goes broody in the pen and let the others free range so i dont gotta worry bout them fighting over the babies and killing them by accident..but afterwards i plan on splitting up the babies so they can have bout and equal amount to take care of

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know how many geese you have but I would bet they will all work together to raise any goslings that hatch, they have such a strong maternal instinct. I just saw how many eggs you have, i have a feeling your going have to pare that down a bit if and when one does go broody. What i would do is start marking the eggs so you get the freshest for hatching, Take a marker and put some kind of mark on the eggs so you know which ones are the freshest.

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Date the eggs when each one is laid.

6. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    i have 3 1 gander and 2 females...ya i mark down everyday on a calender when an egg is layed..the girls r on every other day so it equals out to an egg a day..right now.. and thats a good idea..i think ill start to mark the eggs ..but can i candle them first to see if there fertile i knw when i brought home my new female her eggs werent fertile till her second week of being here. i mean can i candle them and put them back in the nest or is that not a good idea?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sure you can candle them, just be sure to suit up before going in. [​IMG]jk let us know what you see.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    lock the gander and the two geese out of where the next is before needing to spend too much time handling them. This will save you from a flogging

9. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    well i candled the eggs and it looks like 8 possible eggs have something in them..all i can see is a dark spot bout the size of a quater..so im not soo sure or not..but there marked and i put them in one nest and made another nest and put the others in that one...so 10 eggs in one and 9 in the other..i had 20 but i broke one open to see if it was fertile..and it was..just a small spot no veins or anything..

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd candle again in 5 days or so just to keep up with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by