Eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by redmarealpha, Aug 20, 2014.

1. redmarealpha

redmarealpha New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Forgive me for what I know is probably a stupid question, but the battery hens I got a few days ago, are laying eggs and I wonder if they are safe to eat. The first eggs they laid were a pale tan, but after yogurt, oatmeal, catching bugs, getting sunlight, cereal grains, veggie peels diced very fine, and melon rinds to pick over, the eggs now are a very beautiful deep brown. I wasn't sure if the first eggs were any good, but I hope the second and third ones are. I had thought since the hens were thrown away (literally), they wouldn't lay any more, but they're laying eggs like their lives depend upon it again.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I can't think of any reason not to eat them -- I would!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The eggs should be fine. It is amazing how fast the varied diet they are getting now makes a difference in the color of the eggs.

4. redmarealpha

redmarealpha New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    That's why I was worried the eggs they first laid might not be good, that they might have been sick or something, The egg color change was enough to make me wonder. I still can't understand why they were thrown away in the first place, they are obviously still laying eggs. Not every day, maybe, but some are still laying them. I'm getting four or five a day, and by the look of them, you wouldn't think they had the strength to do it.

5. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Well I am glad they have the chance to enjoy the sunshine and scratch around for bugs. It's their new lease on life.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So long as the hens have not been medicated recently with antibiotics or dewormed, the eggs should be fine. Otherwise, I'd wait 30 days before eating them.

7. redmarealpha

redmarealpha New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    No way to tell, the guy who found them said it was a chicken factory in Ohio, and they were boxed up with dead chickens. He threw the dead ones in the rendering dumpster and took the six live ones home. He tried to sell them, but they were in such terrible shape, no one wanted them, so he brought them to me. I had/have three other chickens people had brought me because they were: 1. mauled by a dog,2. old, and 3. one was a rooster left by an elderly man who passed away. I live in the country, was raised as a ranch child, and usually got horses or dogs people no longer wanted, I'm pretty new to chickens.
    I can no longer take horses and dogs in, I can't afford the care many of them need, but I can usually find people who can. Nobody seems to care about chickens, though. I've tried to Google care about severely injured or mistreated chickens on the Net, and a friend of mine who raises them (just personal chickens, not a factory), told me to go here for expert help. It has indeed been a life saver! All I can offer these poor hens is care and affection, but I'm willing to learn, and certainly take advice from experts! I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to answer what must seem like profoundly ignorant questions.

1 person likes this.
  8. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Your questions seem pretty reasonable to me. I agree that this site is a great resource, I have learned a lot from it over the last few years. Although the many members here have differing levels of experience, there are lots of people here who point you to helpful information. It is nice that these wayward chickens have found refuge with you in the country.

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How wonderful that they found you [​IMG] I love happy endings. Sounds like they'll live out some very happy lives with you.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by