EGGS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bassim Ahmed, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Bassim Ahmed

Bassim Ahmed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Recently I incubated 6 eggs ,they hatched successfully, i was happy ,but not for long!!!! guess what? i got 5 cockerels and only one pullet .Can you determine the sex of an egg by its shape or color or something??

2. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Lol! I'm sure I'm not the only person here who can relate to this. I hatched three in the spring and all three turned out to be roos. There is no way to tell by the egg which gender will hatch.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with christine9 there is no way to tell from the egg shape or colour. It's an old wives tale.
    If this were true all the massive hatcheries and commercial chicken farmers would use this method. Im afraid it's all part of hatching having to deal with the Roos.

4. Bassim Ahmed

Oct 13, 2014
    But i heard that long eggs have pullets and short and round eggs have roos. Is it not true?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No it's not true. If it were true there would not be a glut of Roos that everyone is trying to rehome.

6. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

When you think of the billions of chickens that are hatched and processed or sold or whatever each year by large processing companies much less the hatcheries and breeders. If a person ever figures out how to manipulate genetics so that eggs are laid with some indicator of gender of chick that person would enjoy wealth beyond imagining.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yorkshire, that’s not an Old Wive’s Tale, that is an Old Philosophers Tale. Aristotle is reported to have written about that. This quote is from the History of Animals by Aristotle.

"Long and pointed eggs are female; those that are round, or more rounded at the narrow end, are male."

The Old Wive’s Tale is that rounded eggs are female and pointed eggs are male. Totally different.

The more scientific approach is that there is nothing to it. A hen tends to lay a certain shaped egg based on her genetics. It doesn’t change that much from one egg to another for a specific hen. Some breeds tend to lay a certain shape of egg though that can vary a lot by the individual.

For something like that to be true it needs to be repeatable. Try it, but don’t base your conclusion on one hatch. It has to be enough hatches that the averages mean something. It’s pretty normal for my hatches to be 2/3 male or 2/3 female but over a two year period the average is pretty close to 50-50.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bassim Ahmed

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks guys , then maybe i must eat the cockerels ,and spare the pullets for eggs i guess. But they are too tiny to have some flesh , and my sister wont let me cook the cocks i think. She is soo ....attached to them.

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yorkshire, that’s not an Old Wive’s Tale, that is an Old Philosophers Tale. Aristotle is reported to have written about that. This quote is from the History of Animals by Aristotle.

"Long and pointed eggs are female; those that are round, or more rounded at the narrow end, are male."

The Old Wive’s Tale is that rounded eggs are female and pointed eggs are male. Totally different.

Thank you for the correction. I'm not brainy enough to know about Aristotle :oops:

I've learnt something new today though :thumbsup

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Somewhere I read that and it stuck.

Smilies are not showing up on my screen today or I would have added one to that post to show it was tongue in cheek. Sometimes the Smilies show up and sometimes they don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by