Eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ejordan, Dec 9, 2014.

1. ejordan

ejordan New Egg

May 12, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I have 3 Ameraucana hens and 2 black sex link hens. How do I know which three are laying? I got the top 3 eggs today and the bottom 3 yesterday.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The two odd colored ones in the center are definitely your Ameraucana eggs. Actually your Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers instead of true Ameraucanas, which lay only blue eggs. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing Ameraucanas with brown egg laying breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue (greenish tints being the most common). If you're not familiar with the difference between Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference. The two large brown ones on the bottom are Black Sex Link eggs. The two light colored ones on the top are likely from your third Easter Egger, although it's possible that they are from one of your two Black Sex Links.

3. ejordan

ejordan New Egg

May 12, 2014
    After I posted this I got to doing some research and realized they are easter eggers instead of ameraucanas which is how they were sold to me. I don't care though. I love them anyways. Do easter eggers lay both brown And blue eggs?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Depending on what the parent breeds are, they can lay green,blue,pinkish or brown.

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sometimes EEs lay blue or brown eggs (particularly light brown eggs), but most commonly they lay eggs in varying shades of green (blue green, olive green, etc.). Occasionally they will also lay a beige, pale pink, or gold egg. EEs are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite hens. She loves their colored eggs.

6. ejordan

ejordan New Egg

May 12, 2014
    Thanks yall! Great information

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by