Eggshells vs. Oyster Shells

christina1982

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Louisiana
I know it sounds really weird but someone told me that you can feed your chicken eggshells, is that true?

They also said I don't have to use grit if they free-range...right lol?

When should I start them on Layena?

I am super new to this so I want to get it right
smile.png
!

Last edited:
I bake, crush and feed the shells back to my chickens, but I also use oyster shell. There is much more calcium in the oyster shell than the egg shells, but we don't like to waste the shells.
smile.png
If they free range, they most likely get plenty of grit.

Yes- you most certainly can. It recycles, and gives the chickens back that calcium- just let them dry out, and crush it up pretty fine, then set in in a dish in their pen or coop!

We rinse the eggs shells, let them dry and then crush them to give back to the chickens. We have been doing this since they started laying last June. We have grit out for them, but they hardly use it, instead find what they need when foraging.

Mine won't eat oyster shell but will jump on the crushed egg shells. I've thrown down oyster shell in the past and I can't tell that they've done anything with it. I've noticed since I've given back the egg shells as feed, that the shells on their eggs are thick and stout. Coincidence or not, I'm staying on the program. And like others, I bake the shells.

Back
Top Bottom